As per statistics from recent studies, varicose veins are more prevalent in old age people. As many as 16% of the adults over 60 years of age complain of visible and painful varicose veins. This is primarily because the valves of certain veins become weak as we age. This hinders the blood flow back to the heart and leads to pooling of blood in the legs.
The excessive pressure that is created due to pooled blood, causes the veins to twist and turn. The varicose veins are the swollen and enlarged veins that are prominently visible to be bulging out from the skin surface of the legs and feet. Varicose veins are not only painful but also cause itching in the affected area.
Varicose veins are more than just a cosmetic annoyance. They can worsen and lead to health complications that could have been easily prevented by timely diagnosis and treatment. Below mentioned are 7 reasons why the aged must consider treating their varicose veins:
- Discomfort – A feeling of heaviness or a burning sensation in the area affected by varicose veins causes extreme discomfort. Getting varicose veins treated will not only cure the underlying issue but also relieve the symptoms.
- Swelling – Blood pooling as a result of varicose veins causes severe swelling. Compression stockings may offer temporary relief but the swelling and pain can get worse due to delay or lack of treatment.
- Limiting Physical Activity – For a few people, varicose veins can get worse to the point that they may find it difficult to perform their everyday tasks or step out of the home. Treatment of varicose veins is indispensable for patients with extreme symptoms.
- Bleeding – As varicose veins are closer to the surface of the skin and full of blood, even minor cuts, and bruises and result in bleeding that it hard to stop. Treating varicose veins can prevent blood pooling and related health issues.
- Blood Clots – Restricted blood flow increases the chances of a blood clot. Blood clots in the deep veins can flow to different body parts and post a serious threat to life. It is wise to get timely treatment of varicose veins to prevent health scares such as Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT).
- Leg Ulcers – When varicose veins are left untreated for a long duration, these can result in open sores that are very painful and extremely tough to heal. Treating varicose veins can reduce the likelihood of leg ulcers.
- Skin Infections – The swelling due to varicose veins can also lead to skin infections such as cellulitis which is characterized by redness and in the surrounding area which also feels comparatively warmer.
Although it is essential for anyone and everyone to get treated for varicose veins but timely medications and genuine treatment is indispensable for the seniors. The pain and discomfort from the varicose veins deteriorate the quality of life and make it tedious for the aged to perform their daily routine tasks.
Varicose veins can be effectively treated in a painless and minimally invasive laser treatment procedure. This is a safe and quick treatment method that is usually performed as an outpatient procedure. It is renowned to be the no-cut, no-scar, and no-stitch treatment.
Avis Vascular Centre excels in the endovenous laser treatment for varicose veins. The distinguished interventional radiologist and doctors leave no stone unturned to ensure that all patients especially the senior citizens have a comfortable and stress-free treatment at Avis Vascular Centre.
All treatment procedures performed at Avis Vascular Centre are US-FDA approved. The doctors and staff follow strict protocols from the American College of Phlebology. The patients are offered a single price package at the time of admission and there are no any hidden charges at any stage of the treatment procedure.
Avis Vascular Centre has treated 12000+ patients from different parts of the World. Even if you do not reside in Hyderabad, out out-patient team will take care of your hotel reservations and flight bookings and doctor appointments. Schedule an appointment today!