What is endovenous laser vein surgery?
Endovenous laser vein surgery is a medical procedure to treat varicose veins. It is a painless and minimally invasive treatment method that has a quicker recovery time as compared to the surgical treatment methods.
In this process, laser heat is used to close off the varicose veins. The body automatically re-routes the blood to the neighbouring veins and the patients get immediate relief from the swelling and pain in the area affected by varicose veins.
Why might I need endovenous laser vein surgery?
Although varicose veins are not a serious medical condition, these make the veins enlarged that appear to be bulging out from the surface of the skin. In a few cases, patients do not feel pain or discomfort and may not immediately require medical attention.
For patients where varicose veins cause irritation and soreness in the affected area accompanied by pain and swelling, timely treatment is indispensable to avoid life-threatening medical complications such as blood clots and Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT).
Thus, endovenous laser vein surgery is recommended to remove the varicose veins from the circulatory system and prevent the pooling of blood. This surgery helps overcome swelling in the damaged area. It also helps reduce the likelihood of risk factors such as active venous ulcers, chronic venous insufficiency, etc.
What are the risks of endovenous laser vein surgery?
All medical procedures are accompanied by some risks. The following are some common complications that may arise due to laser treatment of varicose veins.
- Pain in the treated Vein
- Nerve Damage
- Blood Clots
- Changes in skin colour in the
The probability and intensity of the risk factors of endovenous laser treatment are way too less severe than that of surgical treatment methods.
How do I get ready for endovenous laser varicose vein surgery?
- Your healthcare practitioner will inquire about your medical history and perform a physical examination of the damaged area. You may also be asked to get a few blood tests and diagnostic tests done. This step is to ensure that you are in good health to undergo laser treatment.
- Before the procedure, you must inform your doctor about any history of blood clots or bleeding disorders.
- Discuss all your medicines with the doctor including vitamin supplements, herbs, etc. Do not forget to mention if you have been prescribed blood-thinners. Talk to your doctor about other medications that may affect blood clotting after the procedure.
- Also, inform your doctor about any allergies from latex, tape, contrast dyes, anaesthesia medicines, etc that you may have.
- After your doctor explains the process to you, do not forget to ask questions that may be bothering you.
- Your doctor will ask you to sign a consent form. Ensure to read the form carefully before signing.
What happens during endovenous laser vein surgery?
The laser vein treatment is performed by an interventional radiologist.
- You are asked to change into the hospital gown and lie down on the exam table. You may also be given special goggles to protect your eyes from the laser beam.
- The doctor will numb the area to be treated with the help of local anaesthesia. As opposed to the surgical procedures, this process does not require general anaesthesia.
- The healthcare practitioner will use a Doppler Ultrasound Scan before and during the procedure to examine the veins to be treated. Doppler Ultrasound Scan uses sound waves and makes a picture of the vein on the screen.
- The doctor will make a small cut on your skin to insert and guide a catheter to the vein to be treated. A thin laser fibre is inserted into the catheter and used to close off the damaged vein. The varicose vein shrinks and is reabsorbed into the body.
The endovenous laser treatment does not require a hospital stay as it is usually performed as an outpatient procedure in the doctor’s clinic itself. The process takes less than an hour and the patient is likely to go home on the same day.
As the cut made it very small, it does not require stitches and thus the endovenous laser treatment does not leave any scar marks. You may notice some minor bruising on your legs but these go away in two weeks’ time.
You are advised to wear loose-fitting clothes after the procedure is complete.
What happens after endovenous laser vein surgery?
Following are some precautions to take after undergoing the endovenous laser vein treatment:
- To help reduce the swelling, put an ice pack on the treated area for no more than 15 minutes at a stretch
- Examine the treated area every day. It is common to see light pink discharge on the bandage. But if you notice anything unusual, speak to your doctor.
- Do not bring the incision site in contact with water for 48 hours.
- Wear compression stockings as advised by the doctor. This will help prevent swelling and stop blood from clotting or pooling.
- Do not sit or stand for longer durations at one go. While sitting, ensure to raise your leg.
- Remain active but do not jump or lift heavyweights. Walk for about 3 times a day for no more than 10 to 20 minutes at a stretch.
- Avoid hot baths for 1 to 2 weeks
Ask your doctor if you can continue your blood-thinners and other medicines as before. In your follow-up check-up after the procedure, the doctor may recommend an ultrasound scan to check if the laser treatment has worked.
You must immediately consult the doctor if :
- You see any early signs of infection such as redness, warmth or discharge from the treated area
- You have swelling in the treated area that does not seem to go away
- You feel any pain that hinders with your everyday activities
Endovenous laser vein surgery is by far the best treatment method for varicose veins. It is not only painless and minimally invasive but also has faster recovery time with negligible chances of recurrence of varicose veins.
If you are looking for a reliable doctor who can help you get rid of the ugly and painful varicose veins, trust none except Dr. Rajah V Koppala from Avis Vascular Centre.
Dr. Rajah V Koppala has international qualifications and is a highly trained vascular surgeon. He has more than two decades of experience as an interventional radiologist and excels in the treatment of vascular disorders.
Avis Vascular Centre has the latest medical equipment and an extremely professional staff. Renowned to be the best in Hyderabad, Avis Vascular Centre is undoubtedly the choicest medical institution for the treatment of varicose veins. Book your consultation today!